Golfing raises money for students scholarships

The 22nd Annual Golf Scramble was a hit as faculty and members of the community participated in the event.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Golfers riding across the course.

Golfers riding across the course.

Katelyn Hummel

Golfers riding across the course.

Katelyn Hummel

Katelyn Hummel

Golfers riding across the course.

Katelyn Hummel, Staff Writer

Every year, prior to the start of Fall quarter, Pierce employees and the local community members dedicate their time and money in a fundraiser for student tuition- by playing golf.

The 22nd annual Scholarship Scramble, held at the High Cedars Golf Course, is a golf event that raises money to fund tuition, transportation, food, rent, childcare and other student needs.

The event started out with the scramble, a tournament in which teams consisting of four players each compete for the best team score. The teams competed for the chance to win a car sponsored by Korum Automotive Group and each player was given a duffle bag with various small prizes.

Participants included many Pierce College Foundation Board members, Pierce faculty, Distinguished Alumni, and some members of the community. Members of Student life also came to assist in the event.

When asked about his team’s golf game, participant Glenn Zevenbergen said, ”As a team, I think we did okay, but I don’t think we are getting any money, but it was fun.”

Through the day, players and guests had the opportunity to enter the silent auction. Over 50 items were put on display and included Disneyland tickets, multiple wine tasting opportunities, tickets to a Seahawk training camp, various autographs from sport teams, resort and dinner tickets, and passes to various local attractions.

“I think there are some great items up for auction and it all benefits students, so you can’t beat that,” said Pat Lewis, member of the PC Foundation Board.

Guests were treated to free ice cream, compliments of John Gibson, founder of Cool Cycles Ice Cream, a company that sells ice cream from a modified motorcycle and raises money for children in Africa.

After a long day of golfing, players and guests left the golf course to have dinner at the High Cedars event hall. The hall was filled with dinner plates and good conversation among colleagues.

“(The Scramble) was a lot of fun. There were some ups and downs,” said Kevin Davis, Head Coach for the raiders baseball, referring jokingly to their team’s golf game. “I brought some classic golfers with me. We put together a fun afternoon. I’m really excited to be a part of it. It was fun to represent the college.”

While guests ate a delectable buffet-style meal, they were invited to join the live auction which featured a Football autographed by Steven Hauschka, kicker for the Seattle Seahawks, and displayed in a Super Bowl XLVIII Champions Deluxe Collector Case and dinner for eight with the Chancellor, Michele Johnson.

Guests were then given the opportunity to open their hearts, and their wallets, in the Buy a Credit portion of the evening. This was where guests could donate money to pay directly for a student’s credit hours. The bidding started at the price for a full year’s worth of full-time credits (approximately $4000), then went down to the price for a full quarter, then by credits, then by dollar amounts by increments of $100. Many patrons donated generously.

Pat Lewis, a member of the board and event participant, spoke excitedly of the Scramble. “I thought it went great, it was a really fun event, a lot of great participation, fun golfing, absolutely!”

The event raised $45,000 for Pierce College Foundation Scholarships.

The next Scholarship Scramble will be held on Aug.11, 2016 at the High Cedars Golf Course.