‘ Flashpoint’ creates an altered DC Comics universe

Gavin Moore, Contributing Writer

The New 52 (DC Comics’ 2011 relaunch of their line of superhero books) began with “Flashpoint,” a crossover story arc that concluded with a radically altered DC universe, the basis of The New 52.

One of the great ideas that comics have been exploring is the multiverse, where anything can happen. This story follows the Flash after he ran back in time and saved his mother from being murdered, and in doing that created a time boom that shifted events just slightly, but enough.

Thomas Wayne is Batman, Martha is the Joker, Superman is locked in a government facility and Wonder Woman and Aquaman are on their way to destroying the world from their war.

The world Flash comes back to is much worse off than the one he left, especially as he now has no powers.

To get his powers back he has to join up with Batman to recreate the experiment that gave him his powers. Once he is back to normal, the Flash decides that he has to help this world, but in order to move fast enough to go back in time he has to find the other speedster syphoning energy from the Speed Force, Reverse Flash.

This adventure shows off a new world and new stories and each one is as thought through as the main universe. As always there is some great action and several emotional moments, such as when Thomas Wayne gives Flash a letter to give to Bruce which brought some tears to Batman’s eye.

The writing style of Geoff Johns always brings a dynamic and interesting story , but this one creates a whole new world and it gives us the opportunity to see a bit more of the darker sides of our favorite heroes, and even a good side to some of the villains such as Lex Luthor, Clayface, and Deathstroke.

There also is an animated version of this comic called “Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.” The story has a few  changes  but it worked fantastically. Flashpoint is a great comic and a thrilling  adventure.