Masturbation for Women

Angry Vagina Monologues

Aaryn Kornbau, Staff Writer

Victorians in the 13th Century developed the first Female sex toy commonly known as the “Dildo”. At the time doctors gave women hand jobs to treat them for complaints of anxiety, sleeplessness, believing that women did not have clitoral stimulation (or sexual desire). In the 19th century doctors discovered that women were dissatisfied with the sex they were getting at home and created porcelain dildos, so women could treat this themselves.

Humans have come a long way from the porcelain days, but somehow female masturbation is still widely unaccepted. This view comes from the protestant view that a woman’s virginity is saved until her wedding day, and exploration of female sexuality is an abomination to that purity. All the while, the double standard of men whacking the willy is just fine.

Masturbation is healthy and important for women to participate in as well as practice, It’s no longer just a boys game. Reason number one why you should masturbate; it helps you familiarize yourself with your body. Not only in a sexual context, but also medically.

Masturbation creates a familiarity between you and your vagina, if you notice that something has changed; a bump or pain you can go to the doctor and seek a professional help.

Reason number two, when you are familiar with what feels good and doesn’t to you when masturbating, you have a better understanding of what needs need to be met when having sex with a partner which can help you better communicate what you would like.

Reason number three; Female orgasms aren’t a myth! They just take more stimulation and work to achieve. Often times men cannot give women orgasms through just vaginal sex.

Some women need clitoral stimulation, or a certain position, or even a sex toy brought into the scenario. Few woman can achieve orgasms through just clitoral stimulation, but you won’t know how to achieve an orgasm if you don’t spend some time finding your pleasure spots.

Women have sexual drive and desires; masturbation can help fulfill these needs safely without STDs, STIs, and unwanted pregnancy. So next time you’re in the mood consider these words; masturbation is both pleasure and knowledge.