‘Ghost Stories’ is a darker side of Coldplay

Parlaphone%2FCourtesy+Photo
Parlaphone/Courtesy Photo

Parlaphone/Courtesy Photo

Parlaphone/Courtesy Photo

Though the album may feel dreary, the tracks are still solid

Parlaphone/Courtesy Photo

Parlaphone/Courtesy Photo

Sean Hobbs Staff Writer

3o5stars

Ghost Stories is the most recent entry into the discography of the famous British rock band, Coldplay. While the songs on the album have their strengths, none of them stand out as hits in the way their previous entries have.

Coldplay is no stranger to melancholic songs, and ‘Ghost Stories’ is made up almost entirely of them. From start to finish, the album feels like it is following the adventures of a sad teen in a less colorful version of ‘(500) Days of Summer’. ‘Oceans’ is especially evocative of this, feeling like a literal ocean of music that leaves you adrift.

It’s likely that this theme is present due to the troubles Chris Martin has had with his now ex-wife Gwyneth Paltrow. The album is part love letter, part apology note, and it shows.

The first song on the album, ‘Always in My Head,’ serves as a sample of what the rest of the album is going to be like, but stands out as one of the stronger songs overall. Unlike a few of the later love songs, specifically, ‘Another’s Arms’ and ‘True Love,’ ‘Always in My Head’ delivers a more varied and interesting rhythm throughout.

Three tracks, ‘Magic,’ ‘Midnight,’ and ‘Sky Full of Stars,’ were released as a teaser for the album, and with good reason. They’re probably the closest to the past work of Coldplay in terms of style, and are far more likely to pull potential listeners in. ‘Sky Full of Stars’ in particular stands out as the most like their previous work, with strong lyricality and catchy rhythms.

‘O,’ the last song on the album, is probably the most bleak of them all. Between the gentle piano and the literal two minutes of silence near the end of the song, it becomes difficult not to feel a little worried about Martin. Not to mention that the vibrato in Martin’s voice that makes it sound like he’ll start crying at any minute.

All that said, there’s nothing really wrong with any of the music.While some of the songs do get a little repetitive, it’s not to an annoying degree, and though the music may be depressing, it’s still well performed. While it’s unlikely to be Coldplay’s most well known album, ‘Ghost Stories’ has it’s strong moments and still shines a few times, despite all the gloom.