Filed under Other, Sports

Seasoned veterans dominate at flag football

Group of diehards fulfill love of the game participating in unofficial college flag football league during freetime

Glenn Dread
Staff Writer 

The Pacific Northwest has not produced many championship caliber teams, with exceptions in the form of the 1979 Seattle Supersonics and the two-time WNBA champion Seattle Storm. Yet there is a little-known team here at our very own Fort Steilacoom campus that has been dominating the sport they love.

For five consecutive years, there has been a core group of men who have punished any competition that has come their way. DeJuahn Gordon, Joe Sullivan, Justin Graham and the unpredictable Doug Carlson come together to form a winning team, all while working as Health Education Center staff members.

Every year Pierce College has an unofficial flag football tournament for anyone who wants to participate. Coach, recruiter and receiver DeJuahn Gordon leads this champion team.

Gordon candidly recalls one of his most memorable games ever, sharing that “it was the first year and seventh game. I had four touchdowns, ten receptions and one interception. We won the game with a mind-boggling score of 120 to 49.” Those are admittedly impressive numbers for someone whose time off the field is spent as an accountant major.

The nucleus of the team is Joe Sullivan, known as a safety, offensive and defensive player and all-around funny guy. He reminisces about his high school days at Lakes High as a tight end, but quickly diverts the attention and conversation to another key player, Doug Carlson.

Sullivan refers to Carlson as the “Mega-Tron” of Pierce College and says that he is hands-down the MVP for all 5 seasons as well as the all-time touchdown leader. In a joking way, Sullivan says that Carlson’s opponents often underestimate his speed and agility. Somehow both boastful and modest, Sullivan comments that the team is the oldest but still stay in shape for their age.

Joe also mentions that just because it’s flag football, there are no fewer vicious hits and tough players. Anyone who wants to participate must keep his or her body in top condition.

The tournament has no actual trophy and there are no referees. In fact, there are no official record keepers or stats of any kind. What the team does have is a fun group of guys and girls who love staying in shape. In addition, they love challenging themselves to setting higher standards as well as achieving new goals.

If a newcomer is worried about the distance of the playing field or the weather, this is not a problem. The total length of the playing field is 30 yards rather than the standard NFL or college 100, and games are played on a hardwood indoor floor.

Although there is no award handed out at the end of the season, a singular player most definitely gets the satisfaction of all the bragging rights of being number one. Just ask the team captain, Joe. By his word, there will never be another five-time champion, ever.