Pierce College hires new Fort Steilacoom president

Alyssa Wilkins / Staff Photo
Pierce College Fort Steilicoom’s new president, Julie White, is excited to join Pierce’s community.

After a quarter-long, nationwide search, the Fort Steilacoom campus selected its new president.  

In a staff-wide email from Monday, Chancellor Michele Johnson announced that Dr. Julie White’s first day will be July 15. White is no stranger to working at community colleges. White joins Pierce College from Onondaga Community College in Syracuse, New York where she served as senior vice president of student engagement and learning support. She has also served at a variety of community colleges and a university and liberal arts institution.

White is a first generation college student, like many who attend Pierce College, Johnson stated in an email. She earned her bachelor’s degree in education and English from Miami University and her master’s in education and counseling from Xavier University. White received her doctorate in philosophy and education leadership from the University of Rochester.

White will be bringing a passion for student success while being committed to the school’s work of increasing graduation rates and closing equity gaps, Johnson stated in the email.

“Her extensive and well-rounded experience and talent will add depth and new perspectives to our leadership team,” Johnson stated in the email. “She embraces the transformative value of community college education and the work that we do.”

White has published research on topics of the effects of racism on community college students among other issues that impact students. She was drawn to Pierce because of its commitment to racial and social justice and its unfaltering support of students, Johnson stated about White.

“I am excited to jump in, in partnership with students, faculty, staff, and the community, to accelerate that momentum even more,” White said to Johnson.