Filed under News, Other, Sports

Relief for delayed onset muscle soreness

Six easy tips to help get rid of pesky after workout pain

Tamara Kelly
Staff Writer

After a big workout the fluid retention may be the cause of all that pain and stiffness from sore muscles.

Here are few tips that can help alleviate the pain and get you back on the treadmill.

Drink some orange juice after a tough workout. Orange juice can help flush out the lactic acid that builds up in the body.

Orange juice contains high levels of potassium, which in return prevents the buildup of lactic acid.

Gatorade and Chocolate milk are other recommended options to help with the prevention of lactic acid build up.

Taking a long hot shower or a soak in a hot tub can make the muscles feel better, however some studies have found that a cold ice tub tend to be more effective, because it restricts the inflammation in sore muscles.

But one can decide for themselves what works best.

Relax and get a massage. Rubbing the soreness out of the muscles can help ease some of the tenderness.

If hiring a professional masseuse isn’t an option on a college budget, bribing a loved one may be a possibility.

Light stretching can also help. Making sure to keep moving the muscles past the soreness is important.

It allows the muscles to break up the lactic acid that’s causing all that pain.

Take some Ibuprofen. One doesn’t have to be tough and suffer through. Anti-inflammatories like Motrin or Advil can help take the edge off and relieve some of the discomfort.

Last, is rest. Muscles need time to heal and rejuvenate themselves.

Allowing a brake in between strenuous workouts is also part of the cycle when building muscles.

These six tips can help the body and reduce the effects delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).