Raider Review and Cram ‘n’ Jam to help students prepare for finals

Pierce College’s study resources centers will have extended hours at both the Fort Steilacoom and Puyallup campuses for an ongoing quarterly event where students can study and have fun around finals.

Here at Steilacoom you have returning students and ex-military that are looking for events like this.”

— Connor Fredericks

Students have the chance to relax, play games, and eat food while getting some extra study time. The tutoring, writing center, and the library will be open past regular hours. The Raider Review is today and tomorrow at the Fort Steilacoom campus in the Performance, Fireside and Student Life lounges from 4 to 8 p.m. The Cram ‘n’ Jam is tomorrow in the library at the Puyallup campus from 6 to 10 p.m.

The “cram sessions” were initiated for students to “blow off some steam” and to have more assistance with their finals. It happens at the end of each quarter. Student life Supervisor Annie Morrow brought the event to Fort Steilacoom from the Puyallup campus. “The essence between the two events is the same, but there are some differences in the students attending the events on each campus,” Morrow said.

The Raider Review at Fort Steilacoom has had a better turnout in previous quarters, administrative senator Connor Fredericks said. The difference is the student demographics. “Here at Steilacoom you have returning students and ex-military that are looking for events like this.” The average age at the Puyallup campus is 18 to 24 years old. There’s also about 100 students that constantly attend events like this at the Fort Steilacoom, Fredericks said.

It’s more attractive to do events in the morning because you get more attendance and better numbers,”

— Zakariah Swanson

Puyallup’s Cram ‘n’ Jam is working on building their student participation. They discontinued the event for the past few years because of low student involvement. This year, Student Life and Pierce student leader, Zakariah Swanson began spearheading the revival of the Cram ‘n’ Jam. Last fall they only had eight attendees in the festivities. There were board games which were not popular and was discontinued. For Puyallup, this quarter’s event will set the standard for continuing in the future at their campus.

These events allow night students to participate when they normally do not have the opportunity. “It’s more attractive to do events in the morning because you get more attendance and better numbers,” Swanson said.  “Often times there are very small amounts of events that would be catered toward and convenient for night students, so I’m hoping this is one.”

This is a family-friendly event that also allows you to bring a companion. The amenities are free. At the Cram ‘n’ Jam, there will be a daycare area with toys and movies, so the student’s with children can spend time studying while their kids play. There will also be karaoke for all. Most importantly, assistance with math and biology is available as well as staff from both the writing and tutor centers.

The Raider Review will have video games, ping pong, foosball and miniature bowling. Tutors will come down to the main area to assist students.

Whichever campus students attend, they can be guaranteed a good time, Swanson said. “These events have the option to be fun, educational and useful,” he said. This is a useful combination of support to assist students in their academic success, he added.

*This article was edited on March 19, 2019 to reflect the correct dates of the Raider Review.