Welcoming the next generation of Raiders

September 17, 2018

New students learn how to thrive during their first year

Nick Nelson / Staff Photo
New students lined up outside the Performance Lounge to wait for the event.

On Sept. 13, 2018, Student Life held the annual New Raider Welcome for the incoming Pierce College students. The event was hosted by the new student leaders for the 2018-2019 school year. It was designed to introduce ways for students to make new friends have and to push the new students to get to know each other. New Raider Welcome was held in the Performance Lounge.

Tom Krieglstein, a native of New York, has been speaking at the Raider Welcome events for the past four years. He spoke for Pierce this year with high energy.

His goal for each campus he speaks at is to “awaken the individual” and to encourage them to experience college life. He stressed the importance of getting involved with the college. “It’s their life and college experience, I’m turning them from spectators to participants,” Krieglstein said.

Krieglstein had been involved in Student Life when he was in college and it was a life changing experience for him. He developed a passion for Student Life and found he enjoyed speaking. Soon, he decided he wanted to make a career of it. “I want to build repertoire at every event I’m at,” he said.

Krieglstein shared stories from his life to allow students to get to know him better. In one story, he revealed that he was named after a cat. His family found a cat near the farm he grew up on and his parents called the cat “Tom Cat.” While Krieglstein grew up with the cat, his nickname was “Tom Human.”

Nick Nelson / Staff Photo
Caleb Bromley, the student government vice president, danced on the stage to represent a “5.”

Krieglstein used “Dance Floor Therapy” as the basis for the presentation. It followed two rules. First, the more friends you have, the more fun you will have. Second, the “action” is in the middle.

This was used as a visual to show the difference between being a “neutral” and a “5.” Krieglstein described neutrals as “I’m tired, I’m bored, I don’t want to do this anymore.” 5s, on the other hand, were described as people who give their all. Krieglstein encouraged his audience to be a 5 with the phrase “Go on, get your 5 on.”

Students learned valuable information about college life. Krieglstein told the audience that participating in college life makes the experience happen, as opposed to being neutral and just letting it pass by.

Two students, both in the Running Start program, talked about what they hoped to get out of the event and their first year at Pierce.

Nick Nelson / Staff Photo
Krieglstein explained the “Free Hugs Campaign” to the new students and gave them each a sign.

Anjelica Clyons, a nursing student, said, “Knowing the classes and students, getting to know the school more and making new friends.”

Rosemary Dechesser, a biology student, said, “A map. I get lost way too easily.” She is also looking forward to making potential friends.

Several campus resources had tables set up during the event for students to learn about what is available to them at Pierce. Students learned how they can receive extra help and get involved in clubs and activities. They also saw what current campus jobs are available to them.

“What matters to you more than the school you go to is what you do at that school,” Krieglstein said. “If you see something, go for it!”