Filed under News

Current student government exits as new government takes reigns.

Last Tuesday, June 5, was emotional for some and exciting for others. The final student government meeting for the 2017-2018 school year was held in the fireside room as current members of the Associated Students of Pierce College/Fort Steilacoom (ASPCFS) team passed the torch. An informal meet and greet was held the following day in the performance lounge to say goodbye to the outgoing members and welcome the incoming group

The ASPCFS members that are leaving are President Elijah Ellis, Vice President William Syhlman, Administrative Senator Huy Nguyen, Clubs and Organization Senator Jan Wagen, Student & Cultural Affairs Senator Yeo Lee, and Engagement Senator Sabrina Li.

The current Legislative senator Raymond Power will continue on for next year as the student body president for 2018-2019. He is joined by ASPCFS members Vice President Caleb Bromley, Administrative Senator Conner Fredricks, Legislative Senator Derrick Brigge, Clubs and Organization Halle Walker, Student & Cultural Affairs Senator Charles Cho and Engagement Senator Nicholas Peacache.

Being a part of student government is important to Power. “It’s whatever the students need. I am the voice of the students,” he said.

Power has plans to continue this years legacy project by getting changing tables in the bathrooms working on transportation issues, and book cost reductions. “I care about the school, it has become a family to me. The relationships are very important,” he said.

Conner Fredricks’ plans for the year are team building, keeping each other accountable and make sure students are able to be heard. “I love planning and leading, and being part of something bigger than myself.” Said Fredricks.

The first official act of the new student government team will be to work at the Pierce College Graduation on June 15th at the Tacoma Dome passing out programs.

The 2018-2019 student government meeting will take place when the school year resumes on Sept. 24.