Filed under A&E, Play Reviews

Playwright uses “End Term of Service” to find her way home

Justn Ngo/Staff Photo
Author Jacqueline Laverne, a Pierce College student, showed a brief window into a brief defining moment in her younger life.

“End Term of Service”  was a piece in the recent final Pierce College play “Finding Home.” Author Jacqueline Laverne, a Pierce College student, showed a brief window into a brief defining moment in her younger life. Recently widowed and a new mother, the scene showcased the struggle of completely changing one’s lifestyle, routine, and sense of direction.

Laverne served in the military from 1988 to 1993. She understands the pain and stress that is part of a woman’s life because of how the military treated them during this time period. “It’s a very personal piece to me,” Laverne said.

During the early 90s — from which her piece is based on— women in the military were treated as outcasts. While the men were treated as priceless jewels, women were treated like rubble on the ground, she said.

“When people in the government treat you like you are a pariah, and they use the excuse that they’re just trying to do their job, there is no reason to treat each other that way,” she said.

“End Term of Service” showed what she went through during her last day in the military. She was only 22 years old, and the memory of living through that experience at such a young age has haunted her. “It was her getting through the paperwork with her dignity intact and getting home,” Laverne said.

Even though the rough treatment of others can have a major impact on someone’s life, Laverne’s story has a positive message. People will treat others the way they want, no matter what the circumstance is, but the way that treatment is taken in is what really matters. “We can’t let the pain and suffering define who you are,” she said.

”Finding home” is the key message in Laverne’s piece. It is important that everyone finds a place in this world, “No matter what your place is in the world is, you need to find it….find your home,” she said.

Writing the piece brought up many emotions, she said, as she thought about the treatment of women in the military back then and now. “I cried the entire time I wrote it…remembering it, because it was quite painful,” she said.

Going through trials and hardships, it can be hard to find pieces of home, but Laverne has hope. “If you have a goal you need to follow through with it, and it will help you find your place,” she said.