PNAJE 2018 winners in college journalism  contest

June 2, 2018

Editorial

The Pioneer staff earned three, second-place awards this year along with numerous individual awards in the 2018 Student Journalism Contest.

Sponsored by the Pacific Northwest Association of Journalism Educators, the contest is open to community, technical and small four-year institutions in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Alaska. The contest drew in 339 entries, according to contest coordinator Liz Wishaw.

In the publications sweeps category, which counted the most first-, second- and third-place finishes for a school, The Pioneer placed second as well as second in best website. Pioneer production manager Debbie Denbrook earned second in the individual sweeps category.

Pioneer current and former staff members winning awards included Marina Chetverikov, Lorelei Watson, Justin Ngo, Chrystal Patterson, Megan Quint, Megan Sokol, Hannah Nguyen, Beatrix Cendana, Carl Carallas, Craig T. Hiblar and SuYoung Park.

“The results of the PNAJE contest reflect that student journalism is healthy and kicking in the Pacific Northwest,” PNAJE president Rich Riski of Peninsula College said. “PNAJE believes the role of a vibrant Fourth Estate is well served by this generation of student journalists shining a light of truth and inclusion through creative storytelling and reporting.”

The staff of 18 judges included communications professionals who work or worked for publications across the United States such as The (Tacoma) News Tribune, Tacoma Weekly, The Peninsula Gateway, McClatchy Newspapers, The Detroit News, Ludington (Mich.) Daily News, Holland (Mich.) Sentinel and MSN.com. Other judges included communication professors from Western Washington, Pacific Lutheran University and Everett Community College.

“Thanks to all the judges, retiring adviser Michael Parks, and PNAJE contest coordinator Liz Wishaw for carrying this contest into the future,” Riski said.