Filed under Campus

Earth Day Carnival

Earth Day brings fun and games

To celebrate Earth Day, the Environmental Resources Conservationist (ERC) Club teamed up with ASPIRE to give Pierce College a day of fun. Held in the upper and lower Winter Gardens in the Rainier building, the group of students put together an event to educate others on “green” habits.

In the lower gardens, there were two games to play. In one game, “Battery Bowling,” the goal is to knock over batteries that cannot be recycled with recycled chunks of metal formed from old batteries.

The other game was “Eco-Shooter,” where the player shoots a Nerf gun to knock trash off of a table. The player would receive two points for knocking off trash, but one point would be taken away if they knocked off recycling.

Both games would result in winning a ticket, which could be traded for snacks on either floor. The lower gardens had cookies, treat bars, coffee, and water, while the upper gardens had chocolate cake.

In the upper gardens, there was an example of a hydroponics system, created by ASPIRE students and club members from ERC. The hydroponics method involves growing plants in a nutrient-rich, water based solution. The system does not use soil, and supports the roots with a non-moving material, such as clay pellets or peat moss. This gives the plant roots direct contact with the nutrients from the water solution.

Ruby Nugent showed how the system works. “I’m here to describe how hydroponics work and how much better they are than normal irrigation systems,” she said. Answering trivia questions at the end of Nugent’s presentation resulted in a ticket reward.

The upper gardens also had one more game, which was a bean bag toss. There were three spots to stand in – “Easy,” “Medium,” and “Hard.” One target was labeled “Trash” and the other, “Recycle.” The reward for this game was also a ticket.

Afterwards, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., volunteers participated in weeding and replanting marigolds in the lower Winter Gardens.

“The idea [for the event] came from Terry Zhou, the president of the ERC,” Aki Smith, the ASPIRE retention manager, said. “It started last year as an attempt for teaching eco-friendly habits.” Smith said that the goal for the event was to “enforce learning through play.”

Students who attended found the event to be engaging and fun. Educating others on how to keep our Earth healthy is important, and doing it through games seemed to be rewarding for all.

To look more photos from Earth Day celebration click here. 😉