Marvel’s “Infinity War” Leaves Audiences Dying for More

May 3, 2018

Rating: 5/5

Marvel Studios
Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Chadwick Boseman, Sebastian Stan, Danai Gurira, Marie Mouroum, and Winston Duke in Avengers: Infinity War

Marvel’s “Infinity War” is perhaps the darkest film to date in the Marvel franchise. Every movie in the Marvel Universe has a followed a set formula filled with classical superhero comedy with favorite characters over the years, and in less than two hours, this film tears it all apart. Marvel pulls some bold moves with their superheroes, and in doing so, shows what it means to fear the world-destroying Thanos.

To remedy the problems with assembling such a large cast, screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely separated the superheroes into groups of ongoing stories. This was  a smart move since they were able to coincide scenes with smoothly while pushing the plot forward.

“Infinity War” starts in a battered ship in space, where Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and the Hulk (Mark Rufallo) are faced against the alien villain, Thanos (Josh Brolin). In the chaos that follows, Thor’s friend Heimdall (Idris Elba) creates a portal that beams the Hulk back down to Earth. Hulk then alerts Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) that Thanos is coming to take the infinity stones, ancient artifacts that can destroy both Earth and the entire universe.

This is the first of countless cascading events, and eventually the stories converge. “Infinity War” separates its heroes based on different aspects of the plan to defeat Thanos. Up until now, Thanos has been a background actor in sending other villains to collect the infinity stones. With these powerful stones, he plans to eliminate half of the population of the universe.

Marvel Studios
Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Benedict Wong, and Benedict Cumberbatch in Avengers: Infinity War

Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) makes his way into space to stop Thanos. On Earth, Vision (Paul Bettany) and Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) encounter Thanos’s underlings. The duo team up with Captain America’s (Chris Evans) team of heroes. Lastly, Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy work together to reclaim Thor’s hammer and defeat Thanos from the inside.

What truly makes “Infinity War” different than the prior previous films, is it doesn’t pull its punches. Audiences will fear for their beloved characters as punishments delivered by Thanos are real and brutal.

That doesn’t mean that “Infinity War” lacks the staple Marvel humor. In fights, Iron Man still delivers his sarcastic remarks, but now accompanied with a somehow even more sarcastic Doctor Strange. New connections between different characters provided the screenwriters with more content to explore.

The heroes in “Infinity War” were already developed, so in away, this movie is more about Thanos. Thanos is known to destroy countless worlds across the galaxy. The way Josh Brolin plays Thanos is exceptional. His character is calm, yet he still is a relentless villain who holds the power to take another’s life effortlessly. Directors Anthony and Joe Russo (CA: Civil War, CA: Winter Solider) were masters behind these scenes, as they placed a calm and rational evil against the chaos he was causing.

Marvel Studios
Josh Brolin in Avengers: Infinity War

As far as Thanos is concerned, his decision and actions are pure logic. He has faced an over-populated planet before on his home world, Titan. When he proposed killing half of the population to survive, he was ignored. When Titan was drove to its demise, he took it as a lesson learned to take matters into his own hands, no matter how dire the consequences.

He has a conviction in what he is doing and that it is for the greater good. He has some emotional moments as he gets closer to complete his mission which makes him appear vulnerable. But he maintains his relentless focus and has a “save emotion for later” bravado to him. In his eyes, at the end of the day, destiny is what matters to him and the phone is ringing so he has to be the one to pick up the phone.

Marvel’s “Infinity War” is a wild ride from start to finish. It breaks the mold and bends expectations by bringing all its characters beyond the breaking point. It’s a nostalgic yet new feeling seeing all these different heroes, whom audiences have already grown to love, meet for the first time.

It is important to note that this film does not have an ending; there will be a part two. There are so many loose ends that have yet to be tied together, which will be heartbreaking yet suspenseful for the future. Audiences will have to wait until next year to see how this dark film truly finishes.

Marvel Studios
Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, and Anthony Mackie in Avengers: Infinity War