Filed under Campus

Black Student Union Reminds Us It’s Time To Stand For Something

Those who braved the icy roads on Feb. 22 were treated to a Black History event. “Stand For Something” was hosted by The Black Student Union in the Performance Lounge from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event featured three speakers; Ariassa Wilson (also known as coach Rees), the head coach of the women’s basketball team here at Pierce, Robert Britten, pastor and the manager of Custodial services and The Rev. Gregory Christopher of Shiloh Baptist Church in Tacoma.

The Black Student Union was formed last spring quarter and it is a club for students to come together and have their voices be herd.  Currently the club president is Samar Stewart and the advisor to the club is Philip Ingraham.

“We wanted to educate our community, to bridge a big gap in our school. There are not enough events that deal with black history; it needs more awareness and to be taken more seriously. This is our history and it needs to be celebrated,” said Stewart

Stacey Hines, one of the members of the Black Student union was the M.C of the event.  He spoke about Mary Jane Patterson and Joseph L. White.. “Equality, social justice, and education are three pillars of what I stand for,” said Hines.

The Christian faith of all three speakers shined through during their speeches, which ranged in topics from facing adversity to never giving up on your dreams to being intentional in standing for something and having something to stand for.

Coach Ariassa Wilson also owns and is head coach and trainer of True Christian Student Athletes, which instills the right to confidence into student athletes. Wilson was the first keynote speaker. Her speech started with a quote from Rosa Parks: “If I can sit for freedom, you can stand up for children”. She spoke on facing adversity, working toward your goals and not giving up. “People are going to watch you struggle, but don’t let that get you down” she said.

During the Q&A she was asked what she thought about diversity and why people struggle with it. “If you hang around those who only look like you, that’s limited,” she said.

When it came Britten’s turn, he encouraged those listening to keep their goals. “You may make a promise to do better in school, but until you commit yourself to the work you will not allow yourself to ascend to the highest heights. Commit to your promises, commit to the truth” he said.

Rev. Gregory Christopher finished off the keynote section of the event speaking on being intentional and authentic about standing for something. “We are the ones who need to take the stand, Superman is not going to come save us. If we don’t continue to stand, our children are going to suffer,” he said.

Throughout the event there was musical performances by the guest group SMELLDAT ENT. As well as poems read by Alexis Dixon , Alyssa Campbell and Alexis Nealy who all also presented about Promenade African Americans. Alexis Nealy gave this advice to those who may be afraid to stand and let their voice be herd “People are afraid, but if you say something it goes along way.”