Filed under Campus

Puppy Cuddle Puddle – Stress Relief During Finals

Student Life hosts shelter dog event

Nick Nelson
Castillo’s beautiful face

Is there any better stress relief than cuddling with puppies? On Monday, March 19, many students came to the Fireside lounge to unwind from the pressures of finals. Annika Fraga, the Student Life entertainment and recreation director, partnered with Brianne Kelley, a volunteer at Sunny Sky’s Animal Rescue and Hospital to bring the dogs to the school.

Sunny Sky’s Animal Rescue and Hospital is a non-profit, no-kill rescue. “We rescue any animal,” Kelley said. “But it’s cats and dogs mostly.” The organization takes in animals from high-kill shelters from around the country. “We’re proud of that. We feel like we make a difference in that way.”

Annika Fraga contacted Sunny Sky’s the week before the event. “I read that petting dogs is a stress reliever,” she said. With finals coming up, that’s what everyone needs!

At the event, the dogs all seemed to have a great time meeting new people. All four of them were very friendly and enjoyed receiving treats from various people. Some students said that they stopped by to “chill out” before finals, like Hannah Tomlinson, who attracted a lot of attention from Princess, a chihuahua mix. Others just wanted to see puppies. “I’ve been looking forward to this for about a month and a half,” said Amy Wittenberg, another attending student.

Near the end of the two-hour event, one dog had already taken a nap, and the other three were starting to get tired. Eventually, the crowds dissipated, and it was time to wrap up. Luckily, there is talk of another event like this in the Spring quarter – look out for the details in Student Life notifications.

How can you help Sunny Sky’s Animal Rescue? One way is to volunteer! Sunny Sky’s is always looking for volunteers. You need to be 18 years old or over to apply. The volunteer program requires a minimum of 10 hours of work a month. The volunteer application is available on their website, sunnyskysshelter.org. Another option is donating to the organization. They take all kinds of items, like dry and wet pet food, blankets, toys, and cleaning supplies.

And, if you’re interested, pet adoption is open! The adoption price for an adult dog who is fixed, chipped, vaccinated, and flea treated is $239. 6-month-old puppies and under are anywhere from $360 to $500, and cats and kittens are $109.

Nick Nelson

One of many groups to spend time with the puppies