International Women’s Day

March 8, 2018

International Women’s Day started with a political purpose in 1909. It celebrates the world achievements of women in the fields of economy, politics and society. Recently, people have expanded it to express their gratefulness and respect for the women around them. In many parts of the world it is a day to highlight the fight for women’s rights.

The first International Women’s Day was held on Feb. 28, 1909, in the U.S., according to a statement by the United States Socialist Party. At the Women’s Conference held on March 8, 1910, 100 female representatives from 17 countries declared women had the right to vote.. German President Clara Zetkin proposed and the assembling body agreed that the International Women’s Day as a day to remember women who had struggled all over the world since 1857.

By 1911, more than 1 million people had attended the event in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland. On March 8, 1975, the United Nations began to pay attention and organized the International Women’s Day. In 1977, two years after the International Women’s Day originated, the United Nations decided to invite the nations to spend one day expressing the interests of women and world peace. And March 8 was chosen to be a holiday for many countries around the world, according to the United Nations website.

Currently, International Women’s Day is still considered an official holiday in the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Vietnam. In these societies, men give flowers and presents to women in their lives such as mothers, wives and girlfriends. In some places, it is also considered to be the equivalent of Mother’s Day.

This year, the United Nation Women declared the International Women’s Day campaign theme to be, “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives,” supporting gender parity. This theme highlights all women in every area of the world, from urban to rural areas, and fully supports female activists who are trying to state themselves and for all the women. With the hashtag #pressforprogress, this campaign, more than ever, was established in order to encourage motivation for spreading gender equality throughout the world.

Organizers are planning events around the Puget Sound to maintain the spirit of encouraging women’s role in society.

A Women’s Leadership Empower Conference is 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. March 8 at the Lynnwood Convention Center and is $25 for students. More information at

Be Bold Seattle will also host an International’s Women Day speaker event March 8 at 5:30 p.m. at Benaroya Hall in Seattle. Tickets are $21.50 –  $41.50 at