Resumes, cover letters, interviews are not just for after graduation

March 1, 2018

Job and career connections center can help prep for that perfect job

Debbie Denbrook
Find resume help at the job and career center.

For such a small space, there is a wealth of resources available to students, alumni, and the community in a corner of the Cascade building. The job and career connections center, affiliated with WorkSource, is available to the campus community. The center provides a multitude of career readiness.

Job and career connections manager Diana Baker, along and with a co-located staff,  are available to help with matters related to securing employed. A WorkSource employee travels between the Fort Steilacoom and Puyallup campuses, along with a staff member of the Metropolitan Development Council.

The job and career connections center can help students who are looking for a job while in  school or with that dream job after graduation. It can assist with completing the FAFSA, financial aid barriers, placement test, identifying community resources and providing career assessments. Career assessments help students identify what they enjoy doing. And it is also important to consider the environment that a job will be in.

Baker said, “Job seekers tend to focus on the tasks at hand, rather than the environment they will thrive best in.”

She said the tasks of a job and environment are important and some employees don’t realize until they are on the job that the environment is not a good fit for them. The staff at the job center can help with giving information about the environment of jobs so students don’t make this mistake. Many times students change the career pathway they are interested in while in school, Baker said?.

The center has a wall with job postings, brochures, hiring events, training and employer announcements. It has three computers available to those who need to write a resume or cover letter. There is staff that can help with reviewing resumes, cover letters and interview preparation.

“Everyone needs to have their resumes reviewed,” Baker said.

There are different types of interviews including in-person, phone, Skype – and the center can help with all of those. A staff member can help students practice their interview skills by doing a mock interview and prep for different styles of interviews. The staff can provide information about career paths so one is equipped with the more knowledge about the job going into an interview.

There is also a website that students and alumni can register on to see job and internship postings. There are hundreds of job postings. It can be found at One can also post a resume for employers to view. Resumes are screened by job and career connections to make sure that there aren’t any big mistakes. Baker is also available for anyone who has questions about internships, not just on campus, but in the business community as well.

For those graduating this year – mark your calendars. There will be a job fair on campus May 2. There will be 30-35 employers with active, open positions available.

Walk-ins are welcome at the job and career connections center 8-11 a.m. Monday – Friday. For assistance in the afternoons, schedule an appointment. Services are free and unlimited.