The History of Dog in the Chinese Zodiac Sign

February 5, 2018

Dog is a good animal and will always be a part of a human’s friends; it places 11th amongst the twelve zodiac signs (十二生肖-Shi Er Sheng Xiao). Some people who have this zodiac sign usually love to help others and may even be a little bit stubborn. But how did Dog become a Chinese zodiac sign, instead of another’s favorite animal, like the cat or elephant?

The story of how Dog became a part of the Chinese zodiac signs began with an argument between Dog and Cat in front of Jade Emperor. The Emperor had a requirement for all of the animals that they must be friendly and helpful to humans.

One day, all animals came to show their respect in front of the Emperor and prove that they are able to fulfill the requirement. Cat, which was always envious of Dog, proved that Dog had lots of weaknesses. As a piece of evidence, Cat said that Dog slept in front of door without contributing anything and just ate the food that was given from humans. Dog countered with the thought that Cat did nothing but frightened rats all day.

The argument was ended by Emperor who asked each of them a question about their duties and how much intake of food they have every day. Dog answered, “I always take care of my human’s house and eating a bowl of meal is enough to keep my body strong.”

Cat sat, pretending like a good actor, “I always catch rats because they are annoying and I only eat a small bowl of food every day.”

After lots of consideration, Emperor almost chose Cat because its answer was so convincing. Cat ate less than Dog and it had a hard time catching rats. Suddenly, Dog was very mad at Cat because Dog knew that Cat was lying to win the position. Then, Dog tried to catch Cat, but Cat ran faster and hid somewhere else.

A few days after that, there was news that the requirement had been changed. The emperor sent out word to all of the animals that those who came first to the palace would become a candidate for the Chinese zodiac. Once Dog heard that, it came to the palace with a proud face. It knew it could win because Cat didn’t know this news. When Cat heard about the big opportunity to compete with other animals in the palace, it was too late. It hurried to the palace but Cat had no chance to get the position, because by the time he arrived, the Jade Emperor had already chosen his twelve. Cat didn’t know that Rat had been hiding in Cow’s ear. That’s why ever since then, Cat has really hated Rat. It always tries to kill Rat and is constantly attacking Dog.