Filed under Basketball, News, Sports

Raiders Fall Short in Offensive Shootout

Pierce College’s women’s basketball team fought hard Wednesday against the visiting Highline Thunderbirds. It was a game filled with energy from start to finish as the two well-matched teams battled over an action-packed 40 minutes. The T-birds came out fast jumping out to a 16-7 lead midway through the first quarter. Then the Raiders fired back with a barrage of their own cutting that lead in half by the end of the first quarter.

Stand out freshman #2 Sydney Dewitt was covered well in the first quarter and couldn’t seem to get open enough to score but the second quarter was a much different story. Dewitt exploded, scoring 12 points in the second quarter alone, after which the Raiders found themselves holding a 46-44 lead at halftime. The third quarter had more energy as the teams pushed one another in a 10-minute stretch that saw the game change leaders or become tied 12 times.

It all came down to the final 10 minutes. The T-birds struck first, stretching their lead to 4 points but the Raiders responded with strength, scoring 8 unanswered points to give themselves a 69-65 lead with just under 5 minutes remaining in the game. Then the T-birds fired back, and the teams sat neck and neck, with the Raiders leading by one with 54 seconds left in the game after a basket by #11 Alexis Dixon. The it was down to the last seconds of the game as the score was tied at 75-75. With seconds left on the clock the T-birds scored one more time. Then the Raiders took the ball and three seconds left on the clock, Dixon missed, but #1 Dominique Hudson got the offensive rebound and one last chance to tie the game. Despite their best efforts, the Raiders could not get their last chance shot to fall and the buzzer ended the game 75-77. It is a heartbreaking loss for the Raiders who fall below .500 with their regular season record now 2 wins and 3 losses.

This tough loss had a lot of offense from both teams, with 5 Raiders finishing with double digits in the points column. Dewitt looked very comfortable on the floor having another good night, scoring 19 points. Sophomore #25 Victoria Mukisa had a strong game as well putting up 15 points before she fouled out with just over three minutes left in the game. The Raiders got good support from their freshmen as well. Point guard #21 Ruby Daube contributed 14 points and 6’1” forward Dixon recorded her first double-double dropping 10 points and snagging 11 rebounds.

The Raiders played hard, winning the rebound battle 46-36, but were hindered by their 20 turnovers, a category Highline only acquired 9 tallies in. The Pierce College women hope to get back on track Saturday, Jan. 27 when they travel to Centralia to take on the Trailblazers, a team with the same 2 win and 3 loss record. These girls play hard and love the support, come cheer them on at their next home game next week, Wednesday, Jan. 31, when Pierce College plays host to the winless Green River Gators. The game starts at 6 p.m.;  students and children 12 and under are always free. Proceeds from every game help the athletics program and the Pierce College Foundation, a program that supports educational access and success for Pierce College students.