Highline Brings Heartbreak to the HEC

January 24, 2018

The men’s basketball team looked good at home Wednesday as they hosted the Highline Thunderbirds. The game started off fast with the teams trading baskets, but as the first half went on the Raiders seemed to have less time and space on offense and trailed the T-birds 27-39. #3 Daniel Gregory, who finished the game with 17 points, struggled to find quality shots against the tight perimeter defense of the T-birds and was held off the scoresheet in the first half.

Halftime adjustments made a world of difference in the second half when the Raiders held the T-birds scoreless for 11 minutes and scored 27 unanswered points to take a 54-39 lead with 9 minutes left in the game. Drama started to build late in the game as the T-birds pulled themselves back into striking range and eventually tied the game with 9 seconds remaining, forcing the game into overtime.

The five-minute overtime period stayed scoreless for almost three minutes before the T-birds took the lead, a lead that was extended to 7 points with just 1 minute remaining. However, the Raiders wouldn’t give in and they clawed their way back into the game as Gregory drove to the hoop, dropping a layup and tying the game at 78 with just 8 seconds left on the clock. But, the Raiders couldn’t hang on as Highline was able to find an open player to take the game-winning shot just before the buzzer, putting the T-birds on top and ending a highly charged game in dramatic fashion.

In a game where the Raiders out rebounded their opponent 51-37, #24 Marquise Raybon had another outstanding performance, finishing the game with 20 points and 12 rebounds for his second double-double in as many games. Freshman #1 Barinder Sandhu and sophomore #5 Rakeem Hughey were instrumental to the Pierce offense as Sandhu scored 16 points and Hughey posted 15.

After a painful loss, the Raiders now look to their next game on Wednesday, Jan. 31, when the Raiders will tip off against the winless Green River Gators at 8 p.m. Pierce College students and children 12 and under always get free admission to home games and proceeds help support Pierce College Athletics and the Pierce College Foundation, which supports educational access and success for Pierce College students.