Video by Chloes Galiki

First Raider women’s basketball starts season off strong

January 11, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2018 basketball preseason has come to a close for the Pierce Raiders women with a final record of 4-9. Leading the charge offensively are freshman guards Sydney Dewitt, scoring 14.3 points per game, and Rube Daube, shooting an impressive 30% from 3-point territory.

Freshman Alexis Dixon seems to be finding herself a place to fit in the lineup as well, posting 43 points in her last four games. Victoria Mukisa, Jalani Palu-Thompson, and Kaytreeona Williams-Mack, this year’s sophomores, are doing their part as experienced leaders on the court as they continue contributing to the offense regularly and playing quality defense on the other side of the floor.

Williams-Mack leads the team with 8.1 rebounds per game while Mukisa and Palu-Thompson are both averaging above 9 points a game. The women are ranked second in steals at the end of the preseason averaging 14 steals per game, trailing only the 10-3 North Idaho Cardinals.

The Raiders finished the preseason strong, winning two of their last three games, and seem to be well prepared for their regular season trek as they attempt to keep the momentum in swinging in their favor.

The Raiders had a fresh start Wednesday, Jan. 10 as their regular season started to get underway at home against the cross-town rival Tacoma Community College Titans. Tip off was at 6 p.m. in the Health Education Center (HEC) at the Fort Steilacoom campus and all Pierce College students who attended received free T-shirts.

The game ended with the Raiders winning 64-60. Games can be viewed on the Pierce Athletics YouTube channel.

Game tickets are $7 for adults and $4 for seniors, military and students. All Pierce College students and children under the age of 12 get free admission to games. So, come out to the home games, grab something from concessions, and support the Raiders as they push forward and begin the battle for divisional dominance.

The next home game will be Jan. 20 at 6:30 p.m.