Filed under Basketball, Sports

New Raiders on team roster gives hope for men’s basketball season

Raiders Athletics/Courtesy photos

It was a turbulent preseason for the Pierce College men’s basketball team as they finished with a record of 2-11. The men played hard and winning was not out of reach in many of their games, however. Of their 11 losses, 8 games were lost by 10 points or less. A couple bounces here and there or a few more shots falling in the hoop would have turned many of these painful losses into jubilant victories.

With margins that small there is plenty of hope carried by the Raiders and their fans. Though they lost their last three games, they were all within that small window of 10 or fewer points making all the difference. The addition of a couple new faces to the team seems to have brought some energy back into the Raiders’ strides, paving the way for the guys to end up on the other side of many of those losses in the matchups to come.

This year’s deep roster is comprised mostly of freshman led by forward Marquise Raybon (13.6 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 32.5 minutes per game) shooting, a team high, 51.2% from the field, and guard Daniel Gregory (31 minutes and 10.1 points per game). The sophomores, while in short supply, are making their impact felt in every game. Ronnie Roberson leads the team with 9.4 rebounds per game, and Rakeem Hughey is the leading scorer thus far averaging 17.7 points per game.

The Raiders had a fresh start Wednesday, Jan. 10 as their regular season started to get underway at home against the cross-town rival Tacoma Community College Titans. Tip off was at 8 p.m. in the Health Education Center (HEC) at the Fort Steilacoom campus and all Pierce College students who attended received free T-shirts. Games can be viewed on the Pierce Athletics YouTube channel.

Game tickets are $7 for adults and $4 for seniors, military and students. All Pierce College students and children under the age of 12 get free admission to games. So, come out to the home games, grab something from concessions, and support the Raiders as they push forward and begin the battle for divisional dominance.

The next home game will be Jan. 20 at 6:30 p.m.