Justin Ngo/Staff Photo

Justin Ngo/Staff Photo

Getting a quick coffee at the Olympic Building

Espresso Plus offers ‘fancy’ coffee drinks, cinnamon rolls, scones

December 13, 2017

Sometimes driving down to Starbucks for coffee and lunch can be inconvenient, but luckily there’s a cafe on the second floor of the Olympic Building, near the entrance.

Espresso Plus runs from 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. with two different baristas working the shifts.

The newest employee Vanessa Bennett, started working this fall quarter at Espresso Plus.

“I was contemplating on going to school, but I decided to work full-time as a barista, so when I looked through Craigslist ads I saw one posted here at Pierce,” Bennett said. “The process first began with open interviews and I’ve worked with my boss Kelsea Klingelhoffer, another Espresso Plus employee on coffee, and was finally interviewed by her boss Renae (Perez) about my working experience.”

Running Start student Michelanie Allcock said, “I think the staff is really kind and patient, and there is a great variety of items on the menu. I like that it’s open around school hours because I can take my time to eat and relax after class”.

According to Bennett, the cafeteria in the Cascade Building and the cafe in Olympic are connected as Espresso Plus operates like a satellite from the cafeteria services. Renae Perez, Food Service Director of Lancer Hospitality, runs the businesses.

Lancer Hospitality provides services for the satelitte cafe, and the main cafe in Cascade, which offers special meals of he day and discounts.

Lancer Hospitality services are contracted by the school and the revenue profits the business of the Lancer Hospitality and employees. Employment opportunities are available for students at the campus cafeteria. They will also work around class schedules and pay minimum wage, according to postal ads.

Besides providing employment opportunities for students, Espresso Plus provides interesting coffee flavors and similar ones at Starbucks or McDonald’s. The most popular items on the menu are the London fog, mocha, chai, caramel macchiato,  cinnamon rolls and scones.

If you’re interested in secret menu items, there’s caramel and white chocolate coffee mixed together, said Bennett.