Back to Article
Back to Article

Indonesians mark New Year with fireworks, family gathering

Fireworks add sparkle to the night sky.

Fireworks add sparkle to the night sky.

Beatrix Cendana/Staff Photo

Fireworks add sparkle to the night sky.

Beatrix Cendana/Staff Photo

Beatrix Cendana/Staff Photo

Fireworks add sparkle to the night sky.

December 12, 2017

New Year’s is marked as the biggest event in Indonesia with festive events and activities in the celebration.

As Indonesia has its own culture and diversity, they have different kinds of celebrations before New Year’s arrives. People usually visit grocery stores to buy decorations for their houses, like lanterns or small lights. Or others celebrate with their family in their hometown and buy fireworks to enjoy with their siblings or old friends.

Fireworks are everywhere and people celebrate in the big places, like sports fields, malls, even places near their homes. The fireworks last from Christmas Day until New Year’s Eve. They celebrate with fireworks to signify new things that will happen. The fireworks represent the need to make a change and release the past, a tradition that has deep meaning among modern Indonesia. Some people believe fireworks are the inspiration of new life and spirit. Other people say fireworks are necessary to celebrate and hope that new happiness comes into their lives.

Alternately, some people in Indonesia just stay home and have an outdoor barbecue party at their house. They don’t want to celebrate the New Year with fireworks. Or, most people in big cities go to barbecue restaurants as they offer a big discount for the ones who use a credit card to pay.

In addition, at 11 p.m. before the date turns to Jan. 1, people do different things. They believe in writing some resolutions for the future year. They write each other small notes about their weaknesses and strengths then what things they should change and the reasons why. Sometimes the resolutions are read privately after the New Year celebration ends.