Sabrina juggles classes. Student Government and
the business club.

Sabrina juggles classes. Student Government and the business club.

Beatrix Intan Cendana/Contributing Photo

Li’s goal: Make more friends

Student Spotlight

October 19, 2017

Sabrina Li, an international student from China, is a very active and energetic student. This is her second year in Pierce and she wants to make a new change for her life by achieving her goals to be a successful woman. So, what makes her very excited about fall quarter and her future?

Her major is business marketing and her goal is to finish high school at Pierce and get AA degree to apply to a four-year university. “My goal isn´t just for academic only, but personally I´d like to be more sociable in some organizations, get involved in many activities that are related with leadership or any kinds of events. Another goal that I have attempted to reach is to know more people then know how to understand myself.”

She has already achieved one of those goals. She met her my best friend at an event “Students of Colors of Conference.” Through her friend she has been introduced to other activities and events.

One of the biggest adjustments she had to make was to her schedule. Along with class schedule, she is looking to manage the business club. “Time goes really fast and I can’t imagine that this is my second week of fall quarter. My feeling is in hurry because I have lots of things to do, like study in class for four courses, get a new job. Let say it is time for me to rearrange my schedule.”

In her year here she has built memories and learned better study habits. Like many college students, she has learned that procrastination does not make for good grades.

“When I enrolled English 101 in the last quarter, I had to deal with procrastination that affected my grades. By that time I always submitted the assignments until one minute before the due date and it was awful. I have ever asked my English teacher to extend the due date for some reason but she rejected since she thought it wasn't technical problem or something happened. After that, I was struggling enough to get 4.0 but no matter what I couldn't get that best grade for this course just because of the silly thing I have done.”

She used her experience to step up her efforts to improve her time management. In setting her schedule, she now knows which one to put first before other works come, including when to know where to put her business clubs, too.

Her experience with her English professor has not dimmed her opinion of people her on campus. She still finds them friendly and mostly approachable who can be so interactive with other students in the class. She finds her professors to be always offering encouragement every student to participate in discussion or lecture.

One of Li’s biggest challenges as an international student is to know more people and use English as the second language to speak with them. “It is kind of hard thing to do for me too when I read a textbook in every subject. Fortunately, I changed my study style so I could get through all courses well. And also, the challenge for me was when first time I studied here. I never knew that I could choose the courses based on my skill and what I wanted. I was confused to choose the subjects that were possibly good for my future career, she said.

However, she does not let a language barrier stop her from pursuing opportunities on campus. As an engagement senator in Student Life, she has a major responsibility. “My main job is to maintain all upcoming events then promote the event to all students in Pierce College. I believe that this promotion will attract all of students to get more involved without being shy or afraid to be more sociable.”

She offers this encouragement or all of students: “I hope all of them can step out of comfort zone, especially for international students. I try to encourage them to ask if they have questions, just don't be shy and make more friends with anybody in Pierce, including local students. I hope they all can get more experience and make more friends. Sometimes I found many students that were so introvert and never cared about anybody else except himself. So, it wasn't good to stay alone since we are social persons and need to engage with another people. Thus, we could learn the new perspective and culture from many views.”