Teachers bring awareness to banned books

Censorship, freedom to read part of campus discussion

October 18, 2017

Pierce College supported the book community Oct. 11 as teachers brought awareness of banned books.

It is an event that supports the American Library Association goals which are to ‘raise the awareness about the harms of censorship and the freedom to read,’ according to tinyurl.com/ycslhxp.

The association said it annually holds the one-week event with the entire book community — librarians, booksellers, publishers, journalists, teachers and readers — in shared support of the freedom to seek and express ideas, even those some consider unorthodox or unpopular.

Psychology professor Tom Link held the first of the two-part event with an hour of discussion on why and how books are selected and banned.

Science professors Ralph Morasch and psychology professor Joanne Geron read banned books while answering questions in the Science Dome. The often-banned books read were “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened” by Jenny Lawson, “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams and “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian” by Sherman Alexie. 

A list of the most current banned books can be found at tinyurl.com/ycnnpm6x. This list combines books that are banned across the world.  It also encourages readers to challenge censorship and the ways they can do so. The association tracks and develops trends across the country on challenged books. 

Video of the event is available at tinyurl.com/ybkho6r6.