Nate Devish (left)
 and Cameron Cox (right)
guide students to the event in somewhat period attire.

Andrew Paulson/Contributing Photo

Nate Devish (left) and Cameron Cox (right) guide students to the event in somewhat period attire.

Student Life event encourages students to vote

Voter registration, guest speaker State Rep. Muri highlight at Constitution Day

October 7, 2017

Sept. 17 was Constitution Day, a day set aside to celebrate the signing of the Constitution. On Sept. 27, Student Life members Nate Devish and Cameron Cox invited students to the Fireside Lounge. Dressed in period attire, they gave an interactive presentation to educate students about their government.

Pierce student government coordinated the day. Terry Zhou, an international student and a legislative senator for Pierce, researched the history of the day.

The League of Women Voters of Tacoma, which is a non-profit organization, was here to help with the voter registration and general information. As a result, there was an increase in numbers from last year of students who registered to vote,” said Zhou.

Part of the festivities included a trivia game and a guest speaker. Kandace Artero, who along with Annika Fraga, welcomed students to event. “The event provides students with information and access to and about voter registration.”

Flags and small U.S. Constitution fact booklets, along with voter registration forms, were displayed on a table inside the lounge. Students could participate in a quiz about the Constitution, voting and student government.

As the quiz completed, three students answered the most questions correctly. Alex Hays won first place with Pamela Riedy in second place.

I like how the college encourages students to be active politically and to have representatives accessible and great information to learn from the quiz,” Riedy said.

Anh Vu, who took third place, said, “I took U.S. History last quarter, (and) got introduced to the U.S. Constitution. I really like the small booklet. I liked the food and the questions.”

Guest speaker for the event was state Rep. Dick Muri, R-Steilacoom. He answered questions from the students. reinforced the idea of why the Constitution is important, elaborated on voting and current legislation in progress. He also encouraged students to become involved in politics and their government.