Run, walk Sept. 23 to help support local vets, homeless, food banks

September 19, 2017

On Sept.  23, the Washington State Trail Running Club is hosting the 13th annual Run and/or Walk 4 The Poor Challenge Benefit at the Pierce College Fort Steilacoom campus.

The benefit helps and supports local disabled veterans, the homeless and food banks, said club president, Anthony Quinn.

Runners can participate in multiple events: a half-marathon, 8K and 1-mile youth race. The event runs 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Fort Steilacoom Park. Cost of the race is $15-$45. You can register for the event at tinyurl.com/yb7bsgnf.

Day of race registration will be available. A $2 day-of-discount for race entry will be given to those who drop of a donation of non-perishable items and canned goods.  The event is certified by Road Runners Club of America.

Quinn encourages students to come out and volunteer for this event.

Doug Carlson, of the Athletics department said about participating and volunteering for the event, that “they support the health and wellness.”

The club is celebrating 20 years. Its motto is “The Challenge Never Ends.”  He said it has been constantly advocating with the Fort Steilacoom Park System.

He said the local community-based sports club advocates and promotes worthy community causes. 

Quinn, who is also the director and race event contact, welcomes new members to the club for fun, fitness and friendship. Contact Quinn at 253-376-5737 or Humansports2001@yahoo.com.