Matt Wuscher & Megan Quint

2017 Solar Eclipse

September 12, 2017

Carly McErry with wife Jordan McErry:

Carly (took picture of eclipse through 3-D glasses: science has always fascinated me, ever since I was a child. About the picture: I love photography, and am always experimenting. I had an idea about using the glasses to see if it would work.”

Dorothy: I love the stars and am always interested in events like this.

Ralph Morasch, Chem Lab Technician: (picture)

Owns the big microscope pictured, it sits on a motorized base. Once is calibrated, it will track the eclipse. The smaller gold one on the right is specialized to view solar flares. Incidentally, the college has purchased two smaller ones for use.

Andrea Macy (behind Morasch) “I am here to teach my children. This a once-in-a-lifetime event.”

Andrew Homan, Cubmaster of Pack 148:

because it is an historic event, remembers watching the 1979 when he was much younger. There are 35 boys in his cub scout pack, each one will earn a badge that the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) made just for this event.

*note: they are also part of a STEM project. It is designed to encourage boys in engineering and is intended to give them a real-world experience.

“Very thankful for Pierce College putting on this event today, especially thankful for providing the glasses. I am also thankful that this is done for the community.”

Marge Blount, Dorothy with husband Kevin Curry: (picture)

Marge: I’m always interested in science, I even have my own telescope. I didn’t bring it because it is too big.”

Dorothy: I remember the one in 1979. This time I figured I’d like to see it with my husband.”