Reflection on Raider Baseball

April 23, 2017

Baseball season is underway and the Raiders have been one of the more consistent teams this season. After losing to Lower Columbia 6-5 in week two, Pierce has rattled off four wins in a row. The Raiders offense has been explosive this season with double digit scores in four games this season. Pierce opened the season with a bang defeating Green River 6-2. The game started scoreless until the Raiders took a two nothing lead in the bottom of the second. Green River answered back in the third and fourth innings with two runs to tie it up. After another score to reclaim the lead in the fifth, the Raiders caught fire in the bottom of the eighth with three runs to win the regular season opener. Catcher Matt Scheffler has the best average on the team hitting .500. Scheffler leads the team with ten hits in conference play while first baseman Rylan Cratsenberg has 28 total. Cratsenberg has four homeruns to his name as well leading Pierce. He is tied with Mac McCarty as the team leader with seven RBIs in the regular season. Ty Swanson has been a scoring machine for the Raiders with eight runs scored. The Raiders most dominant appearance was again against the Green River Crocodiles on April 14. Pierce scored a season high 14 runs. Pierce student and fan Sean Phillips talked about the game. “It was just a slugfest. They knew it was over before it started.” Offense was on full display for the Raiders scoring in every inning but one featuring two innings with four runs apiece. The defense kept the Crocs in check allowing a mere four runs on the afternoon. Pierce begins a string of battles on the road against cross town rival TCC on April 29.