‘Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions’ Revitalizes its television counterpart

Old characters make a valiant return with a deck full of new cards

February 8, 2017

As the years go by, Seto Kaiba (Eric Stuart) still struggles with his dethroning as the world’s greatest duelist. KaibaCorp has developed a new a new headquarters in space in hopes that Kaiba can complete his chase back to the top. There is one missing piece. The Pharaoh and the millennium puzzle are gone.

Time has passed since Yugi (Dan Green) won the ceremonial duel against Atem to send his spirit back to the spirit world. Along with his friends Joey (Wayne Grayson), Tristan (Greg Abbey), Tea (Amy Birbaum), and Bakura (Ted Lewis), Yugi prepares for life after high school and what they are going to do with their lives. While they finish their education, Kaiba commissions an excavation of the millennium items to find the puzzle so he can bring the pharaoh back to reality.

While the overall story of the movie was enjoyable, it seemed cluttered. The plot of the story could have easily been a whole other season to the television show.

As a fan of the show and the card game, the movie was quite disappointing when it came to the logic of the duel itself. The movie introduced dimension summoning which sounded like a great idea. One problem is they only grazed the surface of how to play the style of dimensions which left people lost as they kept track of the duels and points.

Bringing back the original voices for the characters was brilliant, especially for longtime fans of the franchise. Each actor succeeded in bringing back the life of the characters from the show.

New character Aigami (Daniel J. Edwards) brings an aspect back to Yu-Gi-Oh that hasn’t been prevalent since the Battle City tournament and finals when the pharaoh fought Marik Ishtar. Aigami’s tone was set very early in the movie and kept developing all the way until the final credits.

Overall, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions is a good movie to watch if you’re a causal fan of the show. For the card game fanatics, this is an average picture. This film is definitely worth watching if you enjoy the great conversations and connection between the original characters.