Girl on the Train Review: A Suspenseful Story of Mistrust and Mystery

The Girl on the Train’ by Paula Hawkins brings an air of fear and secrets in this thrilling narrative

February 24, 2016

For those who enjoyed Gone Girl (2012) or its blockbuster film adaptation, meet its younger, alcoholic sister, The Girl on the Train (2015). Though not actually related, The Girl on the Train sets a familiar stage: a thriller, set in the suburbs that is propelled by unreliable narrators, and it just so happens to be slotted for cinematic release later this year. Rachel’s inability to conceive and subsequent divorce have left her in a lonely, desperate place. Her anguish is apparent as she sits on a London-bound train several mornings a week and waits to pass her old street, hoping she might catch a glimpse of its happy residents.

One day, on the train, Rachel sees something odd, but what was it? And now a young woman on the very street she once lived is missing. Her crippling alcoholism and inability to remember important events thrusts her into the mystery of what happened that day. If she could just manage to stay sober long enough to clear her head and retrace her steps she might be able to remember something crucial she witnessed.

Hawkins carefully weaves the stories of flawed, but relatable characters and readers will root for Rachel. They will root for her sobriety and for her to find inner peace whilst searching for answers.