Osaka Jikei shares culture with Pierce

Japanese students learn about healthcare, medicine, therapy, and share a taste of their own culture

February 10, 2016

Our partnership with Osaka Jikei continues to prosper. This quarter Cindy MacKersie facilitated two very successful programs in the areas of Nursing and Social Services/Mental Health for the Osaka groups.

During the month of October, International Ed. partnered with the Pierce College Nursing Program to create a 3-day study tour in Nursing for 44 Osaka Jikei students  and their Vice-President of Nursing.

Dr. Emily Mize, the Nursing Program Director here at Pierce College, gave them an overview of the American healthcare system.

Ronda Durano, Nursing faculty, gave the students an Introduction to High Fidelity Simulation Training and then she and other Nursing faculty, Tiffany Smith-Fromm and Elizabeth Webber were joined by nursing student alumni to give hands-on demonstrations in the Nursing simulation lab. Also, Tiffany shared Unique Healthcare Practices in the U.S. with the group.

The visiting Japanese students made a presentation on Cancer Pain Management in Japan to Pierce College Nursing students. They also shared their culture with Pierce College, performing a traditional dance and introducing Japanese tea ceremony, calligraphy, and games during the cultural exchange segment of the program.

Lastly, they had the opportunity to visit and tour medical facilities and sites in our area including St. Clare Hospital, Franciscan Hospice House, and Franke Tobey Jones.

Then again in the middle of November, we hosted another group from Osaka Jikei! This time, International Ed partnered with Denise Arnold, SSMH Program Coordinator, to offer a 3-day Study Tour in Social Service Mental Health. During their visit,  Denise Arnold presented an overview of the SSMH career  in the U.S. and shared valuable information about PTSD and war.  

Community members came on campus to make presentations to the students as well. Ross Echterling, a licensed therapist, gave an informative presentation on Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) and then he and his colleague, Guy Glad, also a licensed therapist, gave a demonstration of this psychotherapy approach to the students.

Also, Morgan Vanderpool from Hope Sparks talked with the students about evidence based practices for helping children and teens, and Rebecca Wolf, the Suicide Prevention Program Manager for the Washington Army National guard, shared her expertise in the area of suicide awareness, prevention, and intervention.

The Osaka students also had the opportunity to tour local sites, including our own  Milgard Child Development Center where Michael Koetje spoke to them about the serving children and then gave them the chance to spend time in the classrooms observing and interacting with the kids.

The students also went off-campus, visiting HopeSparks Healing Hearts Counseling Center and Catholic Community Service’s Nativity House, both located in Tacoma.

This program also had an cultural component to it. On the first day, the Osaka students and the Pierce College SSMH students presented to each other on relevant topics and later that evening Denise Arnold facilitated cross-cultural activities between both groups of students.

On the second day, the Japanese students visited the Boys and Girls Club in Lakewood where they shared Japanese culture and games with the children.

Although the students were only here for a short time, they enjoyed the opportunity to learn about best practices in their fields and to interact with our community.

As always, International Ed is grateful for our partnerships with these academic departments and the facilities which have hosted visits for our international students on numerous occasions.

Thank you for helping us to offer these amazing programs.