Domestic violence in the NFL; Not Safe for Ladies

Athletes find a way of avoiding court convictions because lack of testimonies from their victims

Retouche CoverGirl photos have flooded the internet with the models sporting photoshopped black eyes to bring awareness to domestic violence in the NFL

#COVERGIRLCOTT/ Courtesy Photo

#COVERGIRLCOTT/ Courtesy Photo

This week on campus there has been a great amount of awareness brought to the subject of dating violence. Emotional and physical abuse in a relationship is a profoundly talked about subject but surprisingly the amount of dating violence found in sports is not discussed so openly.

It may be the fact that professional athletes are seen as idols in the public’s mind or the public may not want to admit seeing fault in their favorite team players.

Professional athletes are in the limelight  every day because of their career. Most athletes use their celebrity status to bring awareness to love found in sports and other positive attributes found in the game.  However, there are those who still participate in outlandish activities regardless of the blinding spotlight publicizing their lives.

Take Ray Rice for example, a very public video of an altercation flooded the internet this past football season revealing him assaulting his fiancé Janay Palmer.

The disturbing video of Rice dragging unconscious Palmar from a casino elevator had the media and public enraged. Especially after the two game suspensions the NFL served Rice for his actions. Rice was indefinitely suspended from the NFL shortly after. Rice married Palmar after the incident and she dropped the charges against him.

Why would a woman who has clearly been abused so gruesomely stay with her abuser?

According to loveisrespect.org, women stay with those who have emotionally and physically abused them out of fear and embarrassment, among other reasons.

Just recently another NFL player Greg Hardy, of the Carolina Panthers, was  involved in a domestic dispute with victim Nicole Holder. Hardy reportedly choked the victim and threw her on a pile of assault weapons where he then threatened to kill her.

After Holder testified against Hardy in July, Holder decided not testify against the Carolina Panther’s defensive end in the appeal.

Why do victims of domestic abuse refuse to help the legal system convict their abuser? Why particularly do we see this so frequently occur in the NFL?

In North Carolina, a study found that “victim opposition was reported as the key factor in reducing the likelihood of prosecution.”

Holder reportedly said she did not want to testify against Hardy because he would kill her if she “took food out of his family’s mouth”.

“Especially where there’s re-occurring domestic violence, it’s just further victimizing to force that person to come to court without knowing whether the outcome will put him or her in greater danger,” said Julia Saladino, a Women’s Law Staff Attorney at the National Network to End Domestic Violence.

Even though a testimony can make or break a conviction of any domestic violence case, many victims fear their abusers.

Perhaps the more public cases of domestic violence such as case like Hardy’s and Rice’s will bring awareness to the underlying issues that affect millions of men and women each year.