Black President reflects BHM vision

Pernell Overton, Contributing Writer

The 2008 presidential election of Barack Obama was a historical moment in our nation’s history. This moment has had been long for, felt and understood at a much deeper level throughout the communities of Black Americans,  from the poverty stricken all the way up to the intellectual communities. It was a visible sign of America shifting it reality on what it means to be an American.The creation of what is known as Black History Month by Dr. Carter G. Woodson is, in essence, what President Obama has achieved. President Obama’s election was a mirror of Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s dream. It was the start of an open acceptance and acknowledgement of Black contributions throughout America’s history, nationally.

The election of President Obama is only one moment in history filled with Black men and women of great character and integrity who have had made great strived for the advancement of a one forgotten people. Thanks to Dr. Carter G. Woodson, the history of Black American’s is celebrated and honor throughout the Month of February,.

Dr. Carter G. Woodson founded the Negro History Week (Black History Month today) in 1926 in hope to expand his life-long understanding of African American’s in America’s history. Before the arrival of Negro History Week, Dr. Carter G. Woodson founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History (known today as the Association for the Study of African American Life and History), which was a more scholarly focus on the historical, social, political, and cultural understanding of the American Negro in society.

Dr. Woodson who was born of former slave parent yet graduated from the University of Harvard in 1912 with his PH.D in History. This enabled him to research and write with a scientific mind on his work of the Negro contribution. Negro History week was first celebrated in 1926 on the second week of February to honor two great American pioneers, who birthdays fell on that week, abolitionist Fredrick Douglass and former President Abraham Lincoln, both who contributed to the ending of slavery.

Although Black History Month is well known today and even celebrated internationally, it was not until 1976, which was the nation’s bicentennial, that it was officially recognized by every U.S president and celebrated throughout the entire month of February. Furthermore, the months of February is a time of celebration for resilient African-American men and women who passed their ways through social discrimination, racism, sexism, economic hardships to a position of status and honor in fields of great endeavors.

Therefore, when Dr. Carter G. Woodson had stated that “Besides building self-esteem among blacks, (Black History Week) would help eliminate prejudice among whites,”, it is obvious that President Obama’s elections is a visible realization of Dr. Woodson’s struggle to keep America’s history alive.