Filed under Basketball, Sports

Lady Raiders break 20-year streak

Dan McCormak/Courtesy Photos

Andrea Bell/Tamara Kelly
Staff Writers

As the winter sports season wraps up the women’s team still pushes forward as they advance to the next step of their season, which is the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges, or NWAACC for short. This is a form of play-offs that decides what team is the best in the region.

This is the first year in a while that the women’s team has qualified for the NWAACC. It is a great honor, and captures the great skill of the Lady Raider team.

What makes this year different than the others? According to sophomore and forward Janay Creamer, it was the additional talent to the team.

“In addition to the extra talent this year, we worked harder and have more of a desire to perform,” Creamer said.

This new added desire to perform was able to bring their season to a much higher caliber than in the past years. They have set a record that is higher than the men’s team, who have qualified for the NWAACC’s for the past two years, this is a great improvement from the performances seen in the past from the woman’s team.

Other team members such as Hayle Hancock, Unique Taufa’asau, and Kawehi Hagi all attribute the success of the team to something slightly different, but all agree that the team is better this year.

“I think what made us better this year is our defense, honestly,” Taufa’asau said.

“We worked hard on defense and came together as a team,” Hagi added.

Hancock then explained why she feels like the team was able to take themselves all the way to the NWAACC.

“We made it because we were focused, and hungry for competition,” Hancock said.

The team, made up almost entirely of sophomores, is focused on breaking the dry spell that the team went through without any championships.

“We’re very excited to go to the NWAACC; it will be a great competition, and we had to get a certain amount of wins to go, which luckily we achieved,” Creamer said.

The hard work and determination of the Raider team is definitely paying off, as the team shows the rest of the northwest what they can do.

“We work hard and we practice two hours a week, five days a week,” Creamer said.

The Lady Raiders will advance later this month to continue to play and see how far they will go.