Bonding with books

Members of Pierce welcome to read and discuss chosen book

Pierce College has kicked off their Common Book Program this quarter and has announced the common book that will be read for winter quarter, encouraging faculty and students alike, from both college locations, to unite together and read best-seller “Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School” by Dr. John Medina.
This program aims to unite the entire Pierce community as a whole by providing a shared experience, from which students and faculty will benefit with a common intellectual activity for all to enjoy.
A goal for the Common Book Program is to show students that Pierce College is actively interested in engaging and learning, and also that reading and discussing novels in a collective environment is a key to life that should be applied as often as possible.
Along with reading the novel, various films will be shown in the College Center Building that relate to several different concepts that are found in the book. An extensive calendar for all upcoming events for the Common Book Program can be found on Pierce College’s website.
Opportunities for staff-only and student-only discussions are available as well as discussions where all members in the Pierce community (administrators, students, staff members, etc.) can engage, sharing with each other their thoughts and insights on the book.
All of the events for the Common Book Program will be held at the campus in Puyallup, with the first meeting held on February 28 at both noon and 4:30 p.m.
Each meeting and event will hold different activities where those involved will learn different objectives based on information found in Medina’s book. As the book is titled “Brain Rules,” most activities will be focused on the function of the brain, brain development and an exploration of how exactly the human brain works.
Author Dr. John Medina is a developmental molecular biologist who has always had a strong fascination with the human brain and tackling the mystery to its function. He was the founding director of the Talaris Research Institute, based in Seattle, with its focus targeting how infants encode and process information in their developing brain. Medina also holds joint faculty positions at the University Of Washington School Of Medicine and at Seattle Pacific University.
Medina is also the author of books titled “Brain Rules for Baby,” “The Genetic Inferno,” “What You Need to Know About Alzheimer’s,” and “Of Serotonin, Dopamine and Antipsychotic Medications,” among many others. Medina has twice been named the Bioengineering Student Association Teacher of the Year and has also been a consultant to the Education Commission of the States.
This Common Book is already available in C210 at the low price of $4 for Pierce students and $9 for non-Pierce students. Questions will be delivered to participants to help guide discussions on how the student experience will connect to the twelve Brain Rules identified in Medina’s book.
As an exciting feature, Dr. John Medina himself will be present at Pierce’s Puyallup Campus as a guest speaker on April 26 at 7 p.m. in the Arts and Allied Health Theatre.  Tickets for the event are already for sale in C210.

Written by Ashley Dixon

Comments