Filed under Other, Sports

The Migrating Raiders Bird

A Prominent Symbol of Pierce College Expands its Horizons

Cameron Cyprain Contributing Writer

1This upcoming May will mark the 28th anniversary of Pierce College’s official logo. The Board of Trustees in office during May 1986 adopted the design, which features ‘Pierce College’ in a specialized type that is unique unto itself as well as a geometrically sharp, stylized mountain in the background. For years, the logo has enjoyed the recognition of students, alumni, and the public as an enduring representation of a distinguished academic institution. However, another symbol that has come to represent both Pierce College’s identity in athletics in addition to scholarship, the crimson-winged Raiders Bird, which employs the letters ‘P’ and ‘C’ as part of its structure, has recently come under discussion for a change in the policies determining its usage.

The Student Government has considered extending official use of the Raiders Bird to clubs, student activities, and various types of promotions. “We are just simply trying to be able to use the ‘Raider’ bird for more student involvement and school spirit. We also want clubs to be able to promote themselves with an official Pierce College logo,” said Administrative Senator Randal Hill.

For years, both the Raiders and the official logo have been used interchangeably to represent Pierce College, with the former making a predominant appearance on selected apparel, walls (as in the campus bookstore) and banners during sports events. Display of the official logo is common for apparel, school supplies such as binders, cards, pens, and websites owned by and/or associated with Pierce College.

PICLOGO-2Several schools of higher learning, from Tacoma Community College to Harvard University, use different symbols when representing their institution as a whole and in the sports arena. Quite often, making these distinctions prove to be beneficial as it allows the athletic department to market itself as a separate entity that is, at the very least, affiliated with its parent school.

Any significant affect on display practices that may result from a policy change would still require permission by the Director of College Relations and must satisfy the guidelines set forth in chapter six of the policy manual. This ensures that any collected funds or an assets resulting from the use of the logos goes back to the college; it also helps to prevent misrepresentation in the event of copyright infringement.

There have been concerns about whether or not such a change is even necessary, as students currently have the right to display the aforementioned images so long as it satisfies the guidelines in the policy manual regarding use, “It’s already on t-shirts, hoodies, and banners, why change it now?” said Christopher Johnston, the Committee Senator. This is true. Pierce College already receives revenue from selling apparel that features both graphic designs.