Filed under A&E, Food Reviews

savory sandwiches

Healani Brennan
Staff Writer

Sandwich from PaneraSandwiches are easy to make, delicious to eat, and are usually served fast. They are a perfect food for students.

Some restaurants in the Lakewood area serve up a variety of sandwiches that appeal to all types of people including meat eaters and vegetarians.

A perfect place for those that love hole-in-the-wall type eateries is the French Hen Bistro. This small, homely venue serves some savory-tasting meat choices and a unique veggie sandwich. What sets it apart from other veggie picks is that it has a cranberry cream cheese spread and sunflower seeds in it giving it a sweet kick to the stomach.

The flavors in the sandwiches mesh together, leaving customers satisfied and full. This is a pricier venue and also offers soups, salads, and grilled Panini style sandwiches, but each meal comes with a dish of smooth milk chocolates.

The Lakewood Towne Center has two locations that serve up a variety of sandwiches. For students that either have evening classes or just don’t get out of class until the afternoon, have Panera Bread. This chain restaurant serves not only sandwiches but also soups, salads, pastas, and bakery items.

Vegetarian options are provided as well as grilled or mix and match combos with salads or soups. The Moon Rise Café closes at 2:30 p.m. so students that have morning or early afternoon classes can dine here.

Gluten free, vegetarian, and meat choices are available, as well as a joint place that serves smoothies, milkshakes, and fruit shakes. Both venues are great for students to relax and chat, but Panera tends to be less pricey than the Moon Rise Café.

A more cultural choice would be the Hess German Bakery and Deli. It doubles as a mini grocery store as well, offering multiple German items. Not many vegetarian options are available so it’s great for carnivores as well as people that want something different than a typical American Cuisine.

The bakery next door to it offers fewer sandwich options than the main venue and is priced unreasonably. The cake they serve is not anything special and actually quite tasteless. The cake that was served was becoming stale so it had some rough textures. Don’t mistake this place for the Hess German Bakery and Deli.

Lakewood is highly cultural with many hidden gems where students can have fun and try new things. Restaurants are a good place to start exploring other cultures and personal preferences.