Filed under Basketball, Sports

Men’s basketball: defense and speed forecast

Men’s basketball is predicted to have a better game than last year in upcoming season

Glenn Dread
Staff Writer 

In the up-coming season the Pierce College Men’s Basketball team is gearing up for what the team hopes to be a better season and have plans to top last year’s disappointing season. One of the many assets the team has is its speed, though the team is considered to be a small squad, but their quickness should keep the points on the scoreboard.

This year’s squad has a host of new faces and only two returning players from last year, one of which is team captain, All Conference player John Palmer and the other Derek Porter. In addition the squad has added two players from Las Vegas Jerry Jacobs and Devin Matthews.

In an interview I did with Guard/Swingman Devin Mathews he says that their speed should force plenty of turnovers to open up their transition game. Another threat opponents may have to deal with the run and gun style of the new squad which is another advantage of having speed. Most teams will have a difficult time defending the team because they have exceptional shooters which will spread the floor and will increase scoring from the field.

Since this is new team one area they will have to work on is team chemistry, typically team chemistry takes time to gel-however, the fact that the team plays extremely unselfish ball will really help especially when they have to run a 4 guard set.

Another upside to this year’s team is ball control. According to starting point guard Jerry Jacobs his ability to get everyone involved and be a good ball distributor should bring the team great success. Mr. Jacobs also hopes that the will remain hungry by staying very competitive no matter what.

I asked both players whom they thought would be a threat on both sides of the ball and both players agree hands down that Tyrell Lewis is that dynamic player.  Mr. Lewis is approximately 6’7’’ but plays extremely big for an undersized forward/center.

His above the rim play should make him a hit with basketball fans and fellow collegiate players alike.

This year’s team is the one to watch, they have already won a tournament hosted here at Pierce College just last Friday, with their quickness, athleticism and high pressure defense the 2012 Men’s Basketball team will be more than just a game to see, but a spectacular journey to the championship.