Filed under Other, Sports

NFL Draft: Seahawks

Marqus Ellis
Staff Writer

The NFL Draft is one of the most amazing and surprising events of the year, with coverage from the top selections to the underdog college picks who have worked tirelessly to become a member of the
National Football League.

There has been a lot of talk about the two outstanding players coming out of college. Andrew Luck, who was drafted to the Indianapolis Colts, and Robert Griffin III, who was drafted to the Washington
Redskins. They should do well in their upcoming NFL debut at the start of the season.

Our very own Seattle Seahawks had some very interesting selections as well, picking up first-round draft pick Bruce Irvin from West Virginia. At 6 feet 3 inches, and 245 pounds, will provide an explosive defense for the Hawks this season as a rookie and a hopeful starter. Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson took the No. 75 overall pick in the third round of Friday’s NFL draft.

Another new key member of the Hawks is Running Back Robert Turbin from Utah State. Linebacker Bobby Wagner, another former Utah State player was traded to the team from the Jets in the second round, which gave the hawks great depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Coach Pete Carroll, former USC coach has been impressive at organizing the team and improving their play since he was named head coach in 2010.

Carroll has made a couple of playoffs appearances and is looking to improve the win/loss column in the upcoming season.

Even though the Seahawks got a “C” grading average in the draft, the front office and the coaching staff are proud of the players they have selected and are looking forward to the new season that’s right around the corner.

The Seahawks have a lot of work to do, however these new acquisitions should put them on the road to success.

The team, as well as their loyal fans,hope this will revitalize the team to greater success than in previous years.