Adopt and save an animal’s life

The VetTech program raises awareness of euthanasia through Pet Adoption Week

Eileen Quackenbush
Staff Writer

Many cats and dogs wag their tails or look with loving eyes for somebody to permanently adopt them into a home; if not, they will forever perish if euthanized.

The first-year Veterinary Technology (VetTech) program students want to find homes for 18 dogs and 14 cats during the first week of May for National Pet Week.

The VetTech students want to raise awareness about animal euthanasia and how to prevent it through pet adoption.

According to The Humane Society of the United States, “Four million cats and dogs—about one every eight seconds—are put down in U.S. shelters each year.”

Often these animals are the off- spring of cherished family pets.

Spay/neuter is a proven way to reduce pet overpopulation, ensuring that every pet has a family to love them.

The cats and dogs were donated to the VetTech clinic on cam- pus from various organizations, including local animal shelters that were overcrowded.

Some of the animals were strays or fostered by students.

“We have taken care of these animals for half a year now, but we can’t keep them over sum- mer break,” Ali Weiss, veterinary technology student said.

“We want to give them good homes to people attending the school, faculty members, or to family members of those individuals on the adoption commit- tee,” Weiss added.

The Vet-Tech students believe having live animals for observation helps them develop the skills they need for their future careers.

It is mandatory for Vet-Tech students to have 20 hours of observation at a vet clinic of choice.

“We have a behavior class in which each student spends at least two hours a week with a dog, then we switch off every 2-3 weeks with a new dog,” Alysia Simek, veterinary technician student said.

“I get a chance to get to know the dogs because of the time I spent with them,” Simek added.

During May 7-10 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Cascade Building.

An adoption table will be setup where VetTech students will pro- vide information on all the cats and dogs available for adoption, including individual information sheets.

There is a $25 transferable owner fee for adoption.

The cats and dogs are spayed and neutered, brought up to date on vaccinations, implanted with microchips, and given dental cleanings during winter quarter.

“It’s going to be hard for some of the students to tell the dogs or cats that it’s time to go, but we also know that their new home will be the best place for them,” Weiss said.

The Pet Adoption Committee members are Alysia Simek, Ali Weiss, Malia Gilmore, Michele Gindt, Ann Mattix, Ally Johnson, and Brittany Perkins.

For more information about adopting a pet, contact the Veterinary Technology office at: (253) 964-6708.

Comments