Latest “Pirates of the Caribbean” not worth the money

“Dead Men Tell No Tales” effects can’t help writing

June 17, 2017

Granted ”Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” is not based on any of the true events of the mid-1600s.

Yet, it does shed some light on the period most people do not have much knowledge on.

The fifth movie of the franchise further develops on loose plot points from the previous four films.

This time Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) is faced with a conflict from years ago — Spanish Capt. Salazar (Javier Bardem) is this feature’s nemesis as Sparrow tricked him a long time ago to escape.  

“Dead Men Tell No Tales” does not bring the hype as it has before. It is not a terrible movie, just not one to watch for more than the cost of a DVD.

Save your money, folks. 

“Dead Men Tell No Tales” does have some entertaining plot points and dry humor, just not enough to put the newest addition in the standings with the previous films.

Although it does have cameos from the original cast members (Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley) from the first couple of films, it seems to be a forced narrative to bring a full swing back to the beginning.

Who allowed this story to be produced, let alone written? In terms of quality, the CGI effects are very detailed and exquisite, but special effects are not enough to change the tone.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales"

☆ ☆ ½ out of 5

Cast: Johnny Depp, Javier Bardem, Geoffrey Rush, Kaya Scodelario, Brenton Thwaites

Directors: Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg

Running time: 2:09

Rated: PG-13 for sequences of adventure violence, and some suggestive content