On to the Post-Season

June 15, 2017

The 2017 NWAC Men’s baseball regular season has come to an end. Fortunately, the Raiders have stormed their way to a playoff berth in hopes of claiming the title of champions. After a dismal performance in the middle of the season, Pierce caught fire in their last ten games winning nine of them with an eight-game streak to end the regular season.

The Western division produced four teams for the postseason this year with Pierce finishing in third place behind cross town rival TCC and division champion Lower Columbia. Pierce ended with a better overall record (29-12) than TCC (27-15) but was edged out in conference play by two games. This results in Pierce being third in the west and TCC second. Pierce had the sixth best winning percentage overall in the NWAC with .707.

Pierce had their premier scoring day on May 7 against the division rival Grays Harbor Chokers. David Smallwood was the winning pitcher in the matchup was Tyson Johnson was on the losing end. Both pitchers struggled mightily throughout the game. Smallwood gave up five runs on eight hits to the Chokers offense. The Raiders offense was able to amass 22 hits with ten coming off Johnson throws. Josh Swanson had the hot bat for the Raiders with six hits, at six at bats.

After a scoreless first inning, Pierce followed with five straight innings scoring. The sixth inning was explosive in every sense of the word. The Chokers put up all their runs in the top of the inning with the Raiders adding five to their lead. Pierce finished off the night with four more runs in the bottom of the eighth. The final score was 16-6. The most points scored by the Raiders