New Season, New Possibilities

Raiders softball starts strong

April 23, 2017

The road to a championship is a challenge each team accepts at the beginning of each season. This year, the Raiders face the difficult task of winning the competitive Northern division and taking down Edmonds (21-3) and division leader Douglas (15-2).

Since the start of the season, the Raiders have claimed the third spot in the North with a 5-2 conference record. Emily Bishop has been an enforcer on offense leading Pierce with 12 hits. She is tied with Tavian Taketa as the top scoring Raiders with nine runs. The Raiders pitching as struggled early on with the bullpen averaging a 5.73 era.

Pierce has been an up and down team this season. From losing 13-3 against Edmonds to blowing out Olympic 13-1, the Raiders must find stability if they want to have any hopes of advancing to the postseason in 2017.

One of Pierce’s best performances this season came in a shootout against Highline on April 8. Bailee Bradley and Annelies Dahman gave Highline’s pitcher problems each had three hits on the day to put runners in scoring position. The first inning was a frenzy of scoring with Highline outdoing Pierce four to three. After that, the Raiders defense found their stride and shutout Highline for three straight innings until giving up four runs in the fifth. Down three entering the final inning, the Raiders exploded with a flurry of scores racking up five more to take a 11 to nine lead and win a primetime conference game.

Pierce faces Edmonds four more times this season with more pressure building up in each matchup. The Raiders have given up double digit scores in two of the last three games. Momentum is huge in sports and the Raiders look to continue their winning streak and earn a spot in the playoffs in May.