Awaiting April the Giraffe’s Arrival

April 23, 2017

Have you noticed these past few months that your work place productivity is down? Or maybe your personal relationships are suffering? I have. Blaming President Trump seemed like the right thing to do. I mean, he is ultimately the cause of 99% of my problems. But this last week, I was pointing blame at April the Giraffe. Here she was, stealing every moment of my precious free time as I eagerly awaited the impending calf. I wasn’t alone; millions of others also were live-streaming the 14- foot creature as she did absolutely nothing in her pen at Animal Adventure Park in upstate New York.

I found myself waking up at 3 am and checking for baby. Would it be today that the 6-foot tall, 150-pound bundle of spotted joy shows up on my Facebook feed? Did anyone throw April a baby shower? Considering she’s sponsored by Toys R’ Us, I imagined she was registered at the popular toy store. Hopefully she didn’t go full cannibal asking for the popular teething toy, Sophie the Giraffe. I mean, here she was approximately 15 months pregnant and let’s face it, pregnant females do crazy things. I know, I’ve been there. Good news for April though, a giraffe’s gestation period lasts 13-15 months, and this can’t last forever.

What I found fascinating about April and her partner, Oliver, was the incredible following of people who were fervently waiting on the edge of their seats for the lovebirds to welcome April’s fourth calf. Quickly approaching 28k followers on Twitter, @AprilTheGiraffe has provided a safe space for those looking for political relief. That’s why I was there, the memes were amazing and reminded me that I’m not the only one without a life, and to see total strangers go WWF (World Wildlife Foundation) on others about giraffe exploitation was mind blowing. People were duking it out, most in support of April while others disagreed and expressed belief that she should be released into the wild. I am pro-giraffe and pro-zoo, nonetheless it was easy to appreciate those who frown upon her confinement. I had to agree, however, she shouldn’t be in a pen. No one who is 15 months pregnant wants to be enclosed in box with nothing to do. Giraffes do not have babies on webcams. It’s weird. She should be out freely exploring the range looking for a serene lion-free pasture to drop that baby.

I believe wholeheartedly in zoos and conservation efforts. I think April has brought forth a lot of attention to a much-needed conversation. We need to work together to promote conservation, and April has proven to be a true ambassador for her species. Yes, I would have loved for April and Oliver to welcome baby in a free-range pasture under the stars, celebrating with their herd. Alas, she had to wait out the remainder of her pregnancy in her labor-suite as her significant other looked on. Like the rest of her fans, being awake at 2 a.m. on any given night tweeting about a giraffe I’ve never met became the story of my life.  

For more information about wildlife conservation, check out www.worldwildlife.org  

Or follow me on Twitter @Copyright79 to follow random weird pregnant animals and other things.