Universal Pictures

Get in theaters and see ‘Get Out’

New horror movie takes terrifying approach to extreme racial issues

March 9, 2017

"Get Out" is a fresh thriller written by Jordan Peele, whose story is about an extreme demonstration of racial prejudices.

The film begins with Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), a black photographer who is dating a white woman, Rose (Allison Williams), as they pack for a trip to meet Rose’s parents. Soon after their arrival, Chris starts to notice black people acting strangely, along with a multitude of racial micro aggressions from the white community.

Peele’s movie is complete with hypnotism, themes addressing identity and appropriation and ultimately playing on the token “white girlfriend;” simultaneously illustrating the hypocrisy of white people.

This being Peele’s first ever directorial debut. Peele’s intent was to make a twist on the 1975 movie, “The Stepford Wives,” a horror film about a “picturesque” that in truth converted all their women for humanoid robots. “Get Out” features a picturesque family, but the story’s main protagonist discovers a horrific truth. For a comedic writer and director such as Peele to transition from comedies “Key and Peele” and “Keanu,” to a psychological thriller “Get Out,” is risky.

But the risk paid off. Peele’s hyperbolized themes on cultural appropriation and the idolization of black culture emitted laughs and screams from the audience.

When the white people in the town start complimenting Chris on his physique or “overcoming cultural obstacles,” they start to idolize Chris’ race. Not Chris himself, just traits that they lack or desire to steal from him.

Even when Chris was met in a life-threatening situation, one of the white people claimed he was “not like the others. I don’t care about your race.” In a racially motivated scheme to steal Chris’ identity, even the perpetrators are claiming to be race-blind.

Peele successfully blends creepy overtones with Rose’s family and comedic wit from Chris’ friend, Rod. Rod is a Transportation Security Administration agent and quickly smells trouble with Rose. His loyalty and quick instincts ultimately saved Chris from his impending doom and made audiences easily love his character.

One of the black victims in the suburb is Andre or renamed “Logan” (Lakeith Stanfield). Andre was kidnapped in Rose’s neighborhood and was later hypnotized, married to an older white lady, and completely lost himself in the process. Lakeith Stanfield’s performance was outstanding. The quick switches between Andre and Logan was the most impressive example of a soul conflicted, establishing a chilling tone.

"Get Out" recognized unknown actors and talent, delivering eerie reflections on the psychology of racism: placing black people as objects, rather than as human beings. Peele’s dip into the horror genre completely revolutionized the scream scene and has delivered a film ahead of his time.