A Game to be Remembered

The Raiders win their first game of the season in their last home game of the year

March 8, 2017

The 2016-17 has been a tough up and down season for the Raiders women’s team. Although the record may not say so, the Raiders have given the best of teams a run for their money. Pierce had come so close earlier in the season and had been battered and bruised in other contests. Against Highline, Pierce’s fortunes changed.

Coming into the game, the Raiders were still searching for their first win of season. Pierce began the game with a flurry of passing in the lanes and back out for a quick 13 points in the first quarter. Victoria Mukisa was fantastic on the night totaling 33 points out of the Raiders total of 49.

The Raiders capitalized on Highline’s missed shots and their own rebounding 49 shots. Pierce’s passing attack had one of their better performances with 11 assists in the game. Denisha Navarro was clutch recording seven of eight from the line. Both Highline and Pierce’s defenses stood strong throughout with Highline edging the lead 58-56 in defensive stops.

Consistency was key for the Raiders. The Raiders had 0.90 points per possession. Each quarter, Pierce put up double digit points with the most coming in the fourth quarter with 14 points. Pierce’s bench produced 13 points with most coming late in the game.

Lily Martin was a force on defense with three defensive rebounds and six steals with one late in the fourth to put an end to the dry streak.

Raiders men’s basketball player Ronnie Robertson reacted to the women’s victory. “We were so hyped for the girls. Unbelievable win.”

When the final buzzer sounded, the court erupted with cheers and applause. For the first time this season, the Raiders women were winners. The final score was 49-42. Winners at last.