Raiders Fastpitch prepares for the 2017 season

The team builds a new group in hopes of a postseason appearance

March 8, 2017

2016 was a tough, yet rewarding, year for the Raiders fastpitch team. At the end of the season, Pierce had a winning record of 12-8 in conference play, yet still missed the playoffs.

The Raiders ended the season on a four-game losing streak that fell short of second place in the Western Division. The four-game losing streak came after the best stretch of the season where the team rattled off six straight wins.

Their best performance of the season was on April 9 against Grays Harbor. The offense and defense played spectacular. While the Raiders offense put up 20 runs, the defense flexed its muscles and shutout the opposing offense for the game.

Pierce’s pitching was near flawless, giving up a mere two hits on the afternoon. Jessilyn Enlow shut down Grays Harbor, holding them scoreless during her five innings of work. Sabrina Collins for Grays Harbor was the losing pitcher. Collins gave up eight runs in one-third of an inning, walked none and struck out none.

The Raiders offense was explosive in the first inning, scoring 13 runs. Pierce was dominant with seven batters combining for 16 hits, 17 RBIs and 20 runs scored. Emily Bishop led the team with 43 runs and 74 hits on the year. Anna Lennox came up big in clutch moments, hitting a team-high seven homeruns.

The 2017 season starts on March 3 against Wenatchee Valley on the road with a doubleheader. Another doubleheader follows on March 10 against Clackamas and Mount Hood.